Sunday, September 28, 2008

Anthro-Tech Assessment

For the last two weeks, I have been down on hands and knees with a dental pick and a size-small paintbrush doing some Anthropology.  Ok, no dental picks or paintbrushes, but the idea is the same.  I've been digging through layers of "tech" in my District to find out the "who's" and "what's" that make up the structure of technology in my school.  And there are layers, for sure.  Like schools and businesses the U.S. and world over, my District has grown through and into the tech it currently uses today.  In my classroom, I still use a fax machine, but I can also scan files directly from the copier and have them sent directly to my laptop.  We don't get cell phone reception, but our Internet comes via satellite.  All of this adds up to a unique set of tech-tools and tech-culture that is characterized by a strong desire for the students to learn and use technology, but one that is shaped by the realities of isolated schools in Southeast Alaska.

Read the complete report of my findings here:  Anthro-Report

Note: Last names have been abbreviated in the report as I do not have their permission to publish their names on the public web.

No comments: