Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Digital Story

Ah, the Digital Story.  Merging traditional story telling with the miracles of modern technology sounds like a good idea--and it IS!  It's also quite challenging.  "Digital" means "perfection" in a lot of ways.  CD's are "perfect" renditions of the artist's music.  Digital copies are bit-perfect.  And a Digital story should be perfect too, right?  

There's the rub, if the story is not perfect, it's not the technology's fault.  In fact, the technology makes it easier to get a better story, because you can go back and redo it as many times as you want.  All this merely points out the flaws in the actual *story*.   I'm not a master storyteller (yet), but I can  tell you that with the technology available today, it's a lot more fun to tell a story.  It's kind of like the dream you may have had when you were a kid about the book coming alive and telling you the story it contained.  Or maybe that was just me......

Anyway, here's my story.  It's about algebra (hope you figured that out after watching it).  I'm hoping to "make it stick" with my students by cementing the concept with this multimedia story.


Here's a rubric I came up with for evaluating digital stories.  Of course, it completely depends on what the purpose of the story assignment was, but for my first assignment for *my* students, this is what I plan on using.  Admittedly, it focuses on some of the aspects I found the most difficult after creating my own story.

And here is a page with my Story Map and my script.  The little numbers in parentheses are markers I used when drawing my pictures, and when actually creating the movie.  They helped me line up the pictures with the audio.

No comments: