My content area is Secondary Mathematics. I have exactly one student in my school currently at a Secondary Mathematics level; he is learning Algebra. As such, it's understandably difficult for him to feel any competition when it comes to math. There is no bell curve for him to place himself on (at least on a daily basis). I discuss this issue in a little more depth in my
IEP write-up, but the gist of the situation is that I challenged myself to learn enough algebra games to be able to be able to keep my student "competing" with himself. He has grown up in a gaming world, and "beating the game" is something he understands and self-motivates himself to do. I wanted to be savvy enough to be able to tap into that self-motivation on the part of my student.
The games I trained on were:
The results of my training and my plans on how to implement what I learned are in my
write-up, but the upshot is, there are a lot of easy-to-learn, easy-to-play games out there for teaching algebra concepts. None of them are Nintendo or X-Box level games; instead, they are suited for short blocks of time, just like teachers find every week in real classrooms. Pulling this into my teaching will not only help my planning, but should (hopefully) help turn the non-glamourous math lessons into memorable activities. With any luck, these games will help make algebra concepts stick with my student for a long, long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment