Sunday, November 2, 2008

Copier Energy Results

A few Sundays ago, I posted a musing on the topic of my copier. Specifically, I was wondering about how much energy my copier (in my school) was using. Furthermore, I wanted to know how much it was using when I wasn't using it.

I have good news for you all, the questions have been answered. With some old fashioned record keeping, a little bit of fancy Excel work (sorry, Excel 2008 stripped out the charts on the downgrade to GoogleDoc compatible versions), and plenty of diligence, I now know that my copier uses more energy just sleeping than it does actually copying. That is, if the manufacturer's specs are to be believed. But why take my word for it? Instead, you should take my presentation's word for it. It's much easier on the eyes anyways.

(Spoiler alert: The presentation shows that (with current usage patterns and current copier settings) it makes the most sense to turn the copier on and off for each use rather than just leaving it on. But there are a lot more variables that can be played with--these copiers are fancy!)

No comments: